How often have you noticed a 14 digit registration number along with the abbreviation as ‘FSSAI’ marked on the food products that you have bought from a supermarket or any Kirana store located near your house? You must be wondering what is this ‘FSSAI’ and ‘FSSAI license’ number is all about? Haven’t’ You!
FSSAI stands for ‘Food Safety and Standard Authority of India’. It is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. The act came into effect in the year 2006 which is a consolidating statute with regard to food safety and regulation in India. The department is largely responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety and standard. It has to make sure all food related business must adhere to the guidelines and regulations under the FSSAI Act, 2006.
FSSAI license is basically a 14 digit registration number which is used by the food-related business and printed on the food products with a license number. To have an FSSAI registration is very much mandatory. If you are engaged in any food processing, food manufacturing, packaging or distributing then you need to have an FSSAI registration or food license.
The department of FSSAI checks for food license of the operators on a random basis and takes stringent action against those business units whose licenses have expired or those businesses that do not possess an FSSAI License. This is to bring down the adulteration in the food and use of sub-standard products.
3 types of FSSAI registration and licenses:
- Basic FSSAI License: They are ideal for small business entities whose annual turnover is less than 12 lakhs. It can be later upgraded to the State license.
- State FSSAI License: These are applicable mostly to mid-sized firms which have an annual turnover in excess of Rs. 12 lakhs but less than Rs. 20 crores.
- Central FSSAI License: They are largely applicable for large business entities whose annual turnover is more than Rs. 20 crores.
Procedures for checking the eligibility for a registration certificate for State or Central FSSAI License
- To get a state license, central license or registration certificate one need to check the eligibility criteria
- One needs to furnish all the details like the serial number, name and all other information as asked by the department
- One can operate in more than one premises, unit, and work in multiple districts or states
Who needs an FSSAI License?
- Meat processing units
- Slaughtering units
- Cold storage units
- Hotels and food catering units
- Food suppliers
- Dairy units
- Vegetable oil processing units
Merits of obtaining an FSSAI License:
- The food business can get many legal benefits
- Creates consumer awareness
- Helps build goodwill among the customers
- Regulate manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food
- Enhances the safety of the food
- Can lead to a huge business expansion
- Helps the removal of multiple legal regulations
- Helps in promoting innovative products in the market
Documents required obtaining FSSAI License:
- Copy of the PAN card, voter ID or Aadhar of the Proprietor/ Partner /Director
- Authority letter with the name and the address
- Sale Deed or property tax paid receipt for self-owned property
- Copy of Rental Agreement if the property is rented
- Food safety management system plan or certificate
- Form 9 with the nomination of persons by a company along with Board Resolution
- Declaration form
- Electricity/ telephone bill of the business place
- Copy of Partnership Deed (In case of Partnership)
- Copy of Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association ( In case of a company)
Additional documents required (For manufacturer/processing units)
- Blueprint/ Layout plan of the processing unit
- Name and list of machinery and equipment along with the number, installed capacity and HP used.
- List of food category desired to be manufactured.
- Pesticide residues report of water
- Photo of the manufacturing unit
Now it is easy to get your food registration license online in Bangalore, Karnataka. Aavana Corporate Solutions offers a hassle-free and an affordable FSSAI license registration to companies at various stages.